'MASS, TIME AND SPACE'
MASS, TIME, SPACE.
I had this idea, that images on top of a highly textural surface would behave different visually. I was obsessed with this thought for a while and it was ...kind of an intrusive thought. I had to try this out. A simple image of a large head (it had to be large, because of the problems that the texture/cubes would create).
As usual, I underestimated the problems that painting a very precise image on a surface with a few dozen obstacles in the way. Drawing and getting the proportions right, was incredibly hard. Every time I drew a line, there was dice or a cube in front of it, making fluidity of drawing impossible...as for the painting part...well I had to fudge it. Each of the visible cubes has six sides, Five of those sides are visible and NEED some kind of surface painting that does not detract...in fact harmonises with the rest. I in for a frustrating experience. Each side had to have some kind of meaningful shade, tone, mark on it, so that it did not simply look like someone had thrown a load of wooden off-cuts at the painting....
A hundred hours later, the results are here. The intention is to have lighting sources which change the direction of the shadows the cubes cast. Having experienced the way that the sun set impacted on the painting as it created those angular shadows made me thing that there is mileage in this, so watch this space as I create a lighting rig and frame that replicates AND augments that.. For now, here is the process of painting this painting. BTW the title is: 'Mass, Time and Space'.
























































Comments
Post a Comment
Your comments are my way of improving this discourse, so thank you in advance.