NELSON MANDELA
NELSON MANDELA
Whilst cleaning up the loft, I discovered an old stretcher. 30 years have passed since the day In bought it, and it is still a thing of beauty. I went on a shopping spree for a good canvas and found some beautiful linen. I had some trouble settling on an image because any big canvas is ultimately a significant time investment...and can be hard work. Having the freedom to choose, as this is not what I do for a living is a great feeling. Mandela is and always will be a man that many have clambered to photograph, paint and write about. It did feel a little like jumping on a bandwagon...but I like the man so much, I could not resist.
I had a good feeling about this, but like any painting, it has taken me down all sorts of crossroads. Do I leave it loose? Is that enough? I decided that I would make it as detailed as I felt comfortable with. So far so good. I am posting the images on page three of its life and will add more as it develops. I am determined to not rush this one, but the compulsion to complete it is so strong, I decided to remove myself from the studio for a little while...Here are the images so far, as I said three days in.


















Comments
Post a Comment
Your comments are my way of improving this discourse, so thank you in advance.