A SENSE OF PLACE
A SENSE OF PLACE
My personal response to the Leicester Print Workshop forthcoming exhibition in the Autumn of 2106.
My personal response to the Leicester Print Workshop forthcoming exhibition in the Autumn of 2106.
A SERIES OF REALISTIC LINOPRINTS ON PAPER AND EMBOSSED ALUMINIUM, AS A RESPONSE TO THE WAVE OF HUMAN SUFFERING AND MIGRATION CAUSED BY WAR.
These images question the role and safety of women at a time of conflict and mass migration. The sense of who we are, our sense of self is inextricably linked to our sense of place, or where we belong and feel safe.
I started looking at transition and displacement with my first little print 'Hope' in 2015, seen below.
Since then, the urgency I felt has transformed into a different kind of feeling. A feeling that I must say something about the people who have been displaced in our time. As well as our common humanity, my motives stem from my own family's history, as displaced people from the Greek towns of Asia Minor in the 1920's.
I like to think that my sharing is a process of communicating, of letting people know a small part of history. My family's history of enforced movement, of new beginnings and of a past seen through the mist of nostalgia and pain is still very much alive for me. I see it being played out in the new movement of humanity to the west. The same pained faces, the same sense of leaving it all behind, the same sense of desperation as my own grandparents felt.
Although my main medium is painting, there is something very compelling about print. The physicality of it, the communal aspect of the workshop, as opposed to the painter's studio; these aspects make for a different output. The embossing of aluminium is based on my exploration of Greek Orthodox votive offerings. These are religious tokens, asking for divine intervention.
I have listed the sequence of images in this series with a brief description of each one...
THE LAND
The above entitled 'The Land' was my first ever attempt at a lino print that was realistic. I used marks associated with high contrast photographs. The surface was 'broken' as I used a rocking motion to pierce and lift the surface of the lino. The image is both seductive and unsettling. The vulnerability of the form and the setting are meant to ask the question of how this person came to be seen in this way? Is she safe and lying on her bed, or washed up some shore, scarred by human movement....
SISTER
![]() |
| Close up of the 'Sister' lino plate. |
![]() |
| 'Sister' Linoprint on fabriano 285 gsm paper. |
![]() |
| 'Sister' embossed aluminium lino print. |
MOTHER
![]() |
| 'Mother' Embossed aluminium lino print. |
DAUGHTER
![]() |
| 'Daughter' Embossed lino print on aluminium. Photographed on the drying rack. The rack somehow looks like a containment fence. |
George Sfougaras July 2016











Comments
Post a Comment
Your comments are my way of improving this discourse, so thank you in advance.