Valuing humanity above ethnic and national affiliations
The exhibition at Etz Hayyim Synagogue Chania, October 2018
It has been over a month since we returned from Crete, after the opening of the exhibition and book launch. So many emotions, so much love, tears, sadness and quiet joy in my heart. I have not been able to write about it until now. My work for the last three years has centred around loss and reconciliation. This project is the epitome of searching, finding, hurting and acquiescing. A journey into the past, grasping for meaning and for insights, a painful journey but a worthwhile outcome, I hope.
As a Greek by birth, I feel that we must treasure our past. We must remember the losses and our part in the scheme of things and in that knowledge know our purpose: to preserve life, to honour humanity and to overcome the narrow definitions of state and nations. I know that the subject is contentious and I know that there is still much sorrow, particularly in the Middle East. There, another war rages, created by the need for ownership of land, again a legacy of hurt and pain. In retelling and honouring the memory of our fellow Greeks who perished in the Holocaust, I am hoping that I awake that part in all of us whether Jewish, Muslim or Greek that values humanity above ethnic divides and national affiliations.
Here are some of the images from our trip, with sincere thanks to everyone in Crete; Anja, Konstantino, Katerina, Ioanna, and particularly Gabi Witthaus for making sure we had some pictures to treasure. Some of the images are from the most beautiful Righteous Among Nations ceremony commemorating the life of Athina Varvataki who saved the young Joseph Ventura (now a renowned poet) during the German Occupation of Greece. Organised by the municipality of Chania and beautifully performed by pupils from the local secondary school.



























Comments
Post a Comment
Your comments are my way of improving this discourse, so thank you in advance.