Updates and news from George Sfougaras Artworks


Dear friend,  I thought you might be interested in some of the current projects in the UK and further afield. There are many links, so amongst the many little asides, I hope you will discover something meaningful for you. 


'Hope' against the Cretan sky. 

In an era where knowledge abounds, and questions are myriad, it is the answers that are the true currency. Post-truth, Art has a new purpose, beyond imitation, beyond life itself: to not only question, but shape the answers. What does Art do now? Where is the need?  Is the expanded field of making Art in all its forms, 'limitless'? I hope, in all humility, that some of my projects below at the very least, attempt to answer some fragments of those questions. 

PLEASE LEFT CLICK AND FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ( NOTE THERE MAYBE MORE THAN ONE LINK PER PROJECT)

I was honoured to be invited by the infuential Professor Chrisi Neranzi to present as part of KEN (Knowledge Equity Network -University of Leeds) to present on the topic of accountable spaces, alongside the brilliant Dr. Gabrielle Witthaus. It enabled me to touch upon work I had undertaken in Jerusalem with Palestinian and Jewish participants, which is still waiting to find the right time and place to be meaningfully shared. 

Summer 2024 - February 2025: Istanbul and Constantinople.   Funded by Arts Council England
I am currently working in the UK and  Turkey with Anna Karayorgi and several Turkish artists and makers on a wonderful long term developmental project 'Istanbul and Constantinople'. The work links up with various collaborators and mentors in universities in Turkey, Greece and the UK. You can see a brief description by clicking on the link below. I am hoping that this project and the new media I will be employing will take my practice to a new and exciting place. I am very blessed to have such a 'Dream Team' on board. 

September 2024: Group show, Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers, London. I was really happy to have this evocative little lithograph, hand painted in tea, clay and lapis be part of the show at the Mall Galleries 

September - November 2024: ISTORIA. Solo Exhibition, Manchester.  
The wonderful artist Elizabeth Kwant, is curating my solo exhibition in a community hub in Manchester.  The Giving Tree is quite near the Whitworth Gallery, which is one of my favourite places to visit.  The rationale for bringing together these works can be seen by clicking on the hyperlink above,( 'Istoria' Solo Exhibition.) 

August 2024 AI Generated Archive Crete. Chania, Greece.  In August I am trying out something that I hope will be thought provoking, despite its apparent simplicity. You can see a brief slide show of the AI archive by clicking on the link below. This is a wonderful cooperation with Etz Hayyim in Crete curated by Myrto Kontomytaki and a number of wonderful artists including Julian Franscisco 

July 2024  '100 Sources' National Hellenic Research Foundation.  Most significant on a personal note has been the series of interviews regarding the displacement of my own ancestors and immediate family. You can ask the website to translate the text from the original Greek, but the interviews, meant largely for a Greek audience, are not yet subtitled. 

January- June 2004:  Two suites of new prints were launched to a great reception and once again many friends and art lovers came to Arthouse in June and added to their collection of prints. 

January 2024 Illustrations for Malka Al Haddad's new book: 'The Truth at the end of the Night' .

 

The Future: All in all it has been a wonderful year so far and there is still much to do and achieve, including plans for a multimedia studio in Crete. You can see some tantalising visualisations on the contact form page on my updated website. 


My warmest regards and thanks for your support, 



George Sfougaras


www.georgesfougaras.com

My books on Amazon



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knight, Death and the Devil

Our Lady of Lourdes