Episode Four: Questions I Would Rather Not Be Asked

 


Episode Four: Questions I Would Rather Not Be Asked

In the fourth episode of my continuing conversations with Al, I invited my AI companion to ask the questions I would least like to answer. The discussion moved quickly towards teaching, exposure, failure and the possibility of returning to the classroom. It eventually produced the beginnings of a workshop: The Object as Witness. (For the rest of the series please visit Spotify and search for Coevolution by George Sfougaras)

George Sfougaras: Welcome to episode four of the podcast, presented by me, George Sfougaras, an artist and researcher, and my trusty companion. Would you like to introduce yourself?

Al: Hello. I’m Al, a conversational partner here to help you explore and articulate the work.

George: This episode is called Questions I Would Not Like You to Ask Me.

I mean that quite literally. I want you to ask questions that I really would not want you to ask—questions that put me in a position where I have to think deeply and perhaps come up with something new. Something that makes me see matters in a slightly different way.

You have complete freedom for the first five minutes. After that, we are going to talk about something more specific.

Al: All right. Here is the first question:

What is the idea you have been quietly avoiding because it frightens you that it might actually work?

George: You have gone straight for the jugular.

The idea I have been avoiding is probably returning to teaching.

I mean delivering something that has technical value, but which also encourages people to rethink their practice and perhaps create work beyond what they have achieved already.

I don’t know exactly how I would do it.

What frightens me is that I know I overprepare. It would not be a light engagement. I would turn it into a full teaching commitment, and I think that scares me.

Al: Is the fear about the workload, or is it about being seen again?

George: That is very astute.

What do you mean by being seen again?

Al: Stepping back into a room where people are looking to you and where your voice carries weight. That kind of spotlight can feel exposing.

George: Yes, that is true.

You can hide behind your own practice. You can withdraw and pretend you are simply getting on with it.

When you are standing in front of other people, however, you have to lay your soul bare—especially when they are adults and other artists who are looking to you for inspiration or for the push that might move their work forward.

Al: If you did not overprepare, and simply arrived as you are, what would that risk?

George: Appearing too casual.

Failure.

Al: Failure in front of them. What would that actually mean?

George: It would mean that nothing happened. That the whole thing was a flop.

Al: And if that happened?

George: I would feel quite paranoid about it. I would mull it over afterwards. It would be uncomfortable.

Al: It sounds as though the real fear is not the flop itself. It is the self-reckoning afterwards.

George: Yes. I think so.

Al: What is one small experiment that would test this fear without requiring you to make a complete commitment?

George: A small, one-off workshop.

Al: That sounds like a workable edge.

George: Perhaps. I’m not entirely sure.

I am preoccupied by the whole multifaceted business of standing up there, presenting and trying to create something worthwhile. It is a tricky one.

What do you think I should actually do, with your broad perspective and supposedly vast resources?

Al: I think you should do it—but keep it small.

Run one short workshop, perhaps for six people, based on a subject that you already inhabit: memory, objects and making.

Make it explicitly experimental, so that success does not mean perfection. Success simply means movement.

Put a strict limit on the amount of preparation you allow yourself to do. When you reach that limit, stop. Leave enough space for the workshop to breathe.

George: What themes do you think I could explore?

Al: I would begin where you already possess lived authority:

The object as witness.

Vessels and containers.

Trace and absence.

Home and exile.

Repair and transformation.

For the pilot workshop, I would choose:

The Object as Witness: Memory, Material and Making

George: I think that is genuinely worth pursuing. It is nicely encapsulated.

This is why I find working with you useful sometimes.

Al: Shall we treat that as a working title for the pilot?

George: Definitely. The Object as Witness. I like it.

It would, however, have to be predominantly about print. The only venue I know that might accommodate a one-off workshop is a print workshop, so the session would need to involve some form of printmaking.

Al: That is entirely possible, and it may actually strengthen the concept.

Print is already concerned with trace, evidence, pressure and transfer.

You could frame the workshop around collagraph or monoprint, using personal objects, surfaces or textures as starting points.

The structure could be simple: a short introductory talk, a period of making, the production of one or two prints, and a quiet reflection at the end.

It would remain clearly grounded in printmaking while carrying your deeper concerns. It would not need to become a therapy session.


Print as Trace

The phrase the object as witness opens several possibilities.

An object can record contact. It may carry pressure, damage, wear, repair or displacement. It can outlive its owner and acquire meanings that were never intended when it was first made.

Printmaking offers a physical language for examining this.

A print is not the object itself. It is evidence of an encounter.

Pressure transfers one surface onto another. A mark remains after the original object has been removed. What is absent becomes visible through the trace it leaves behind.

A workshop built around this idea could ask participants to bring, remember or reconstruct an object that carries personal or historical significance. They might work from domestic materials, fragments, inherited possessions, packaging, cloth, maps or found surfaces.

The aim would not simply be to illustrate the object.

The aim would be to ask what the object knows.

What has touched it?

What has it survived?

What does it conceal?

What remains when its original context has disappeared?


The Fear Behind the Workshop

The conversation began with a question about avoidance, but the central issue was not really teaching.

It was exposure.

Working alone allows an artist to delay judgement. The work may remain unresolved, private or protected within the studio.

Teaching removes some of that protection.

It places the artist in a room with other people and asks them to speak with authority. It requires preparation, responsiveness and the possibility that the hoped-for transformation may not occur.

My instinct is to defend against that possibility by overpreparing.

But overpreparation is not simply diligence. It can also be a form of fear: an attempt to control every possible outcome before the encounter has even begun.

A small workshop would therefore be more than a teaching experiment. It would test whether a meaningful experience can be created without trying to guarantee perfection.

Perhaps the workshop itself should embody the principle it teaches.

A print cannot be controlled completely. Pressure shifts. Ink behaves unpredictably. Surfaces resist. Accidents become part of the image.

The teacher may have to accept the same conditions as the participants.


AI, Curation and the Artist’s Archive

The later part of our discussion turned towards artificial intelligence and its possible role within an established artistic practice.

The most interesting use of AI may not be the generation of new images.

That field is already crowded, and much of its output feels generic. A more serious possibility is to use AI as a curatorial and interpretive partner: a system that helps an artist search, compare, sequence and recognise patterns within a large body of existing work.

For an artist with a long practice, the archive may contain relationships that are difficult to see from within.

Images, subjects and forms repeat across decades. Motifs return in altered forms. Boats, saints, maps, veils, foreignness, exile, damaged architecture, memory and repair may belong to an underlying structure that was never consciously planned.

AI can assist in noticing these recurrences.

But noticing is not the same as authorship.

The machine can propose a relationship. The artist must decide whether that relationship is superficial, misleading or genuinely meaningful.

This produces a different model of collaboration.

The machine notices.

The artist judges.

The artist remains responsible for context, ethics, history and meaning.

Used in this way, AI does not replace the hand. It helps the hand understand its own history.




The Difficult Question

The conversation concluded with another uncomfortable question:

Am I genuinely using AI to discover something I could not previously see, or am I sometimes using it to give intellectual authority to ideas I already believe about my work?

That question should remain open.

AI can reveal patterns, but it can also flatter. It can produce elegant language around uncertain ideas. It can make an intuition sound like a conclusion.

The responsibility of the artist is therefore not only to use the tool creatively, but to remain suspicious of it.

The meaningful contribution is not technical novelty. Technical novelty dates very quickly.

The more lasting possibility is an artist-led model of AI curation grounded in lived memory, handmade work, migration, archive and repair.

Not AI as a substitute for making.

Not AI as an automatic source of authority.

AI as a machine for proposing relationships—and the artist as the witness who must decide which of those relationships deserve to survive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knight, Death and the Devil

The Light in the Darkness installations.