The Work of Returning


Crete, September–October 2026

I came to Crete intending, at least in part, to rest. It is a curious thing, returning to a place you know intimately. You imagine that familiarity will make fewer demands upon you. That you might sit quietly, watch the light move across the mountains, listen to the occasional conversation drifting from the village square, and allow the days to pass without requiring anything of them.

Crete, however, has never been particularly interested in my intentions.

We returned to our little house in Potamies, a village where the past survives not so much in monuments as in the ordinary arrangement of things. The stones, the narrow streets, the old doorways, the conversations between neighbours. There are histories here that have been written down, others that have been forgotten, and some that remain hidden in plain sight.

I have been making art for most of my life, yet I still find that places like this unsettle my understanding of what an artist actually does. We make objects, certainly. We draw, construct, print and write. But much of the work happens before any of that, in the act of noticing.

During these weeks I have been drawing, photographing and writing. Some of the images grew from the landscape, others from memories or thoughts that had followed me from England. My sketchbook began to accumulate fragments of a larger conversation about love, displacement, fragility and the extraordinary brevity of our lives.

One evening I wrote about the unexpected destinations life takes us towards, and how love can sometimes strip away our defences until we encounter something for which we have neither words nor symbols. I am not sure I understand that experience any better for having written about it. Perhaps writing is not always an attempt to explain. Sometimes it is simply a way of remaining present.

There has also been a great deal of looking backwards.

At the Archaeological Museum in Heraklion, I spent time photographing and studying objects from the Minoan world, including inscriptions in Linear A, a language that continues to resist our attempts to read it. I have been interested in its structures for some time, and the opportunity to examine material in the museum brought renewed attention to questions that remain unresolved.

There is something rather wonderful about standing before a small clay object made thousands of years ago and recognising that another human being once used it to communicate something perfectly ordinary. An account, perhaps, an allocation, a record of goods. The marks survive. The meaning, for now, does not.

My attention also turned to Ottoman-period gravestones and the layered histories of the island. The story of Crete is not simply one of successive rulers and civilisations. It is also the story of people who lived alongside one another, sometimes peacefully, sometimes terribly, speaking different languages, observing different faiths, and becoming entangled in each other's lives.

As the son of Greeks displaced from Asia Minor, I cannot approach these histories as an entirely detached observer. The consequences of religious and ethnic division belong to my family's inheritance. Yet I have increasingly come to believe that the most useful thing we can offer the past is neither romantic nostalgia nor inherited resentment, but an honest willingness to examine its complexity.

Back in Potamies, I revisited the history of the village and the mural I had made there. It is strange and rather satisfying to see one's own work become part of a place that already carries so many traces of other lives.

Meanwhile, my artistic concerns in England continued to travel with me. I revisited work connected with Coventry Cathedral, particularly a developing series of reliquary-like constructions concerned with memory, loss and the sacred dimensions of ordinary existence.

I also brought one of my Shuttle Baren designs into the Cretan landscape. This small, hand-held printmaking tool emerged from years of experimentation with printing techniques and the movement of pressure across a surface. Seeing it here, away from the workshop in which it was developed, reminded me that making things is a continuation of a much older human curiosity. We invent tools to extend what our hands can do, and occasionally discover something new about ourselves in the process.

Not everything, of course, was contemplative.

Violent storms interrupted the rhythm of our stay. Internet connectivity became unreliable, water found its way into places where it had no business being, and roof repairs demanded rather more attention than I had anticipated. A young driver struck the back of our car while we were stationary at traffic lights, leaving us shaken and a little less confident on the roads.

There were moments when the accumulation of difficulties seemed almost comical. Almost.

And yet there was kindness too. Friends and neighbours welcomed us, practical help was offered, conversations resumed, and the ordinary generosity of village life reminded us why this place matters.

Throughout the visit, I also worked with an unusual collaborator: an artificial intelligence with which I have been developing ideas, investigating evidence, editing writing and discussing work for some considerable time.

It is an imperfect partnership. Sometimes startlingly productive, sometimes exasperating. There have been failures, particularly when attempting to preserve the integrity of my original drawings and handwritten pages. I have learned that intelligence, however sophisticated, is not the same as judgement, and that the ability to produce something is not necessarily a reason to do so.

But I have also experienced the remarkable possibilities of sustained intellectual exchange between a human being and a machine. Not as a substitute for imagination or experience, but as another means of questioning, testing and occasionally discovering connections that might otherwise have remained unexplored.

Much of this visit has also been occupied with the less visible business of being an artist: revisiting books I have written, corresponding with colleagues, examining opportunities and considering how to find a more sustainable commercial future for my work. These necessary activities seldom feature in romantic accounts of artistic life. Nevertheless, they occupy an extraordinary amount of it.

And now, as our departure approaches, I find myself thinking less about what has been accomplished than about what has been experienced.

There is a temptation to measure time by its productivity. By the number of drawings completed, pages written, questions answered or problems solved. Yet such accounting seems hopelessly inadequate.

I think of the people who once inhabited this village, those who built its houses, cultivated its land, loved one another, argued, prayed, suffered and eventually disappeared. I think of the Minoan scribe whose words remain before us, unread. I think of my parents and grandparents, and of the journeys they made without knowing where history would leave them.

And I think of ourselves, briefly here, making repairs to an old roof, drinking coffee, trying to make sense of things, occasionally finding beauty in the most unlikely places.

Perhaps that is what returning really means. Not coming back to something unchanged, but discovering how much has changed within us.

The drawings and photographs will come home with me. So will the unfinished questions, the conversations and a few ideas that may yet become something worthwhile.

But what I shall remember most is something less tangible.

The light falling across a stone wall. The sound of voices in the village. The persistence of human ingenuity. The knowledge that so many others have stood where we stand now, believing, as we do, that there will be more time.

And the quiet, unreasonable miracle of being here at all.

George SfougarasPotamies, Crete · October 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Knight, Death and the Devil

The Light in the Darkness installations.